8 months 1 week ago
Strife
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Broadband issue #1
Hello All,

Development of 8.2.5.5 beta 2 has currently stopped due to consistent in game DC's and ping times over 8000ms.
This site will also be experiencing slowness and at times unavailable.

I am currently having issues with my broadband, some of you may remember previous times I have had these issues. This is always due to the impacted aluminium piece of wire that until recently has been my only means of unlimited broadband access.

In my area we have something called FTTC which the supplier calls a fibre connection but in reality it is fibre to the local cabinet and the last trip is across existing copper (occasionally aluminium) wire. There are times when the weather changes and usually after heavy rain a short develops on the line, it can be so bad that a normal conversation is difficult due to the noise and so the filtered broadband side is mostly losing packets.

So that paints the picture of what I have had to put up with for over a decade.

A few years ago a 4G mast we installed very close to my house and the provider offers unlimited 4G home broadband, the speeds I can get on my phone are over double that of my fixed line broadband (when the fixed line broadband is working) and the 4G offering is cheaper. The only downside is the ping time is around 35ms - 45ms, but this is still a good speed.

Tomorrow this site will be down for a while, after which all should be good.

--
Strife
The following user(s) said Thank You ctshammy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 1 week ago
Strife
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Broadband issue #2
An update to this, especially as this site is often very slow to load and occasionally unavailable.

The 4G service didn't work out when I first tried it, no access to any port from external sources and unable to VPN to my work.
I ended up sending it back while in the grace period rather than trying to figure out the issue.
It seems it was an Application Layer Gateway issue with the Huawei 835, I am now looking at a different 4g router to try this again.

The poor physical line has been consistently causing issues since the 16th Dec and that is why this site is often slow or unavailable.
A fault has been logged and expecting an engineer visit sometime soon, a process I have had to go though many times in the past.
I will wait for the outcome of this rather than jumping into trying 4g immediately, the main reasons for this are under 20ms latency and fixed IP. 4g latency is good enough but I am concerned about how often the IP may change, if this was to happen frequently it would mean up to 15mins of DNS lookup fails and site not found issues each time.

So please bare with me over the next few weeks.
I will have the provider fix this or leave them, as I point out to them today, I am out of contract, the service is unacceptable and I have extremely fast 4g on my doorstep.

6 months 5 days ago
Strife
Administrator
Administrator
More
Topic Author
Broadband issue #3
Expect this site to become stable and fast by the end of this week, I am cutting the wires.
The following user(s) said Thank You ctshammy

Moderators: ctshammyAcirac